It is election day and our democracy teeters on the brink.
We might have already lost it. Republicans appear willing to trash our democracy in order to keep their dwindling, minority rule, grasp on power.
- Republicans refused to seat a Supreme Court justice for a twice elected and popular president. Then they rammed through an apparent sex abuser because of his credentials as a Republican partisan.
- Republicans are practicing flagrant voter suppression.
- The Republican Congress demonstrates an utter dereliction of duty to provide checks and balance to the White House.
- The White House, unchecked, continually attacks the free press.
- The rule of law is under attack. Because the FBI is pursuing abundant evidence that the Trump administration conspired with a hostile foreign power to interfere with the 2016 election, Republicans are attacking the FBI.
- The abundant evidence of rampant Trump family tax fraud is being ignored.
- The military is being sent to the border as an obvious political stunt.
- One can add to this list.
Considering the trend and how there is no apparent bottom to what the Republicans will do and put up with, I ask myself if we should be prepared for when Trump loses the next election and there is not be a peaceful transfer of power, the hallmark of democracy.